Procedure for Wall Tiling
Preparatory work before tiling:
- Note that all electrical and plumbing wall chasing works for the concealed piping, bore holes etc. is complete before starting of wall tiling.
- Rough coat plaster : Rough coat plaster or first coat plastering for walls including corners has neatly finished with line, level, right angles and plumb.
- For proper bonding of wall tiling, wave lines markings to be done using binding wire over this plastered surface.
- It is highly advisable to start the rough coat plaster for walls after a completion period of 28 days of masonry walls constructed in block work or brick work.
- Similarly, the glazed tile, wall tiling or ceramic tiling work can start only after completion of 28 days of rough plastering, to facilitate shrinkage of plaster.
Fixing of Wall tiling :
- Cutting of tiles : Proper planning and care is required while cutting of tiles, so that the wastage can be minimized.
- The Cut tiles can be used for internal corners, and other places where full tile is not required.
- Ensure the distance from the skirting board or worktop to the top of the panel is fixed first only with full tiles, so that to facilitate the grouting gap.
- After the adhesive is allowed to dry, the border or edge tiles can easily be fixed over the wall.
- All Tiles are to be soaked in water for at least two hours before its use.
Wall tiling work :
- A cement paste with good consistency is applied on the back of the tile impressed on to the background surface and tapped mildly with a wooden or rubber mallet.
- Wall tiling work is done by fixing joints of 2.5 mm between tiles. To get uniform joint width in all directions, spacers of reputed brand is advisable.
- Proper skill, observation is required to keep all tiles perfectly in horizontal and vertical direction.
- By holding straight edge for horizontal lines, plumb bob for verticality, spirit level for top level, the required parameters can be achieved as per standards.
- Corner beads : All wall tiling corners to be provided with reputed PVC tile corner beading or strips so that tiling can be commenced beyond the beading.
- Shrink free : All joints to be filled with a branded non-shrink waterproofing filler material called shrink free of matching colour giving a minimum duration of 24 hours and finished slightly sunken.
Inspection Procedure for Quality Assurance :
- Check all tiles before its laying with MTC, random test reports by third party for its dimensions, durability, hardness, scratch proof etc.
- Grout colour : Ensure conformance of the wall tiling pattern, specifications including tile grout colour are as per drawings.
- Check for uniformity in line, level and grout thickness for visual appearance.
- Ensure straightness and level of wall tiling surface.
- Tile fixing : The fresh tiled surface should exhibit proper level by using Aluminium straight edge or line thread and spirit level or level tube for maintaining top level.
- Make sure, the cement and the sand have been checked or tested before starting of wall tiling
- Ensure that no tile is broken, damaged or cracked and the joints are well filled.
- Randomly, tap the tiled surface to check for hollowness.
- The tiled surface should covered with POP or tile protection sheets of reputed brand against damage to the tiled surface.
STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES!!!
plumbing wall chasing works, concealed piping, bore holes, Rough coat plastering, first coat plastering, plastering surface, masonry walls, glazed tile, wall tile, ceramic tiling work, shrinkage of plaster, cutting of tiles, Cut tiles, full tile, grouting gap, adhesive, border tiles, edge tiles, cement paste, Tiled corners, PVC corner strips, corner beading, dimensions, durability, hardness, scratch proof, tiled pattern, tile grout colour, cement, sand, hollowness, POP, tile protection sheets